Akwaaba! I'm Padma Mana, and I visited Ghana this summer on the Ghana: Discovering the Truth about Africa's Past Program. The program studied the Slave Trade and contemporary West African society, but I got this and so much more out of the experience. An African Proverb states that "She who learns, teaches." Of course, nothing can supplement the learning experience of traveling abroad, but hopefully you can glean a shadow of the perceptions I perceived while in Ghana from my accounts below. Thankyou, or as Ghanaians would say, Medaasi!

Friday, June 8, 2012

Day 5: Travel to Tamale!

This morning, we left from Molè National Park and came to the vibrant city of Tamale. But before we left, we had a last adventure in the Park...we got to see an elephant, up close and personal! An elephant had wandered up to the visitor center and was walking around chewing on leaves of shrubs and stuff. Our group, along with another Ghanaian school group, crowded a safe distance away and watched in fascination. It was beautiful! This one was missing one tusk, and had a small circular hole in its ear...
  We reached Tamale around 4 in the afternoon and refreshed a bit before dinner. I had one of the best dinners yet here...rice balls and groundnut stew. It was heavy but delicious!

 Today is Friday, the Holy Day of the Islamic Religion. Tamale is heavily Muslim, as is much of Northern Ghana, and on the way here we passed a village where everyone was going to Mosque for a community prayer. It was pretty cool!
 Driving in Tamale, I saw the most beautiful Mosque I've ever seen. I think now, after reflecting on it a little, I can safely say that Tamale is my favorite city yet. It is much smaller than Accra, but still lively and with its own unique personality. It was thronging with people dressed in bright traditional clothes when we drove in, and there are people EVERYWHERE.
 Tomorrow is market day! We'll be outside in the huge, thronging market place here, sweating in the heat and bargaining for everything we buy. Amongst Ghanaians!

Medasi,
Padma

No comments:

Post a Comment