Akwaaba! I'm Padma Mana, and I visited Ghana this summer on the Ghana: Discovering the Truth about Africa's Past Program. The program studied the Slave Trade and contemporary West African society, but I got this and so much more out of the experience. An African Proverb states that "She who learns, teaches." Of course, nothing can supplement the learning experience of traveling abroad, but hopefully you can glean a shadow of the perceptions I perceived while in Ghana from my accounts below. Thankyou, or as Ghanaians would say, Medaasi!

Friday, June 1, 2012

About Me...

       Hi! I'm Padma Mana, a Fulbright College Honors Student studying Biochemistry. I just finished my Freshman year and had heard about this African and African American Studies study abroad program in Ghana. After some meetings with professors and serious email conversations, I found out that the program studies the historical Transatlantic Slave Trade and also contemporary Ghanaian society. I thought it would be a great experience, learning from humanity's mistakes, and figured I'd learn a lot from it, so I jumped on board. I'd be lying if I said that was the only reason I was so interested in the program though...I'm always interested in Women and Genders Studies, and one of the faculty advisors of the trip studies Africa with an emphasis in Women Studies. After talking to her and learning that the program was quite flexible to what we students were looking for out of it, I was very optimistic. So, here I am, one of the few Science majors on a History Study Abroad. But nevertheless, about to have the time of my life!
     Our flight leaves in two days, and we'll be in Ghana for a little over 2 weeks, following the route of the Slave Trade and visiting many important sites and cities. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment