Akwaaba! I'm Padma Mana, and I visited Ghana this summer on the Ghana: Discovering the Truth about Africa's Past Program. The program studied the Slave Trade and contemporary West African society, but I got this and so much more out of the experience. An African Proverb states that "She who learns, teaches." Of course, nothing can supplement the learning experience of traveling abroad, but hopefully you can glean a shadow of the perceptions I perceived while in Ghana from my accounts below. Thankyou, or as Ghanaians would say, Medaasi!

Friday, June 15, 2012

Day 12: Dreamlike Beach Resort :)

We're finally on the beach again, staying at (If I may say for so for myself) a posh Beach Resort! There's a sweet stickiness in the air that the sea spray creates, with the ocean so close we can taste the salt on our lips again and walk through the moist sand and groves of palm trees just to go to dinner. The waves roar in the background and create a white noise at all times. Its nice to wake up to this though!

Our drive from Kumasi was quite peaceful. It was amazing how much greenery surrounded us! Everything was so thick and lush.

The coast here is so rough though! I've never seen such huge waves that are so loud! When we arrived here yesterday, we played in the Atlantic for a long while. At first, I was tugged and dunked every which way. But after a good twenty minuets or so, I learned to keep my head above the surface and how to brace myself against the waves so as not to get pushed back every time.

It's amazing to think that on these very beaches just three hundred years ago, the Slave Trade was in its peak. So many people suffered here, some lost their lives, and all were thrust into a new life which was nothing like they had experienced before. And today, in 2012, we've seen, learned, and enjoyed so much on these same beaches.


Medasi,
Padma

No comments:

Post a Comment