Akwaaba! I'm Padma Mana, and I visited Ghana this summer on the Ghana: Discovering the Truth about Africa's Past Program. The program studied the Slave Trade and contemporary West African society, but I got this and so much more out of the experience. An African Proverb states that "She who learns, teaches." Of course, nothing can supplement the learning experience of traveling abroad, but hopefully you can glean a shadow of the perceptions I perceived while in Ghana from my accounts below. Thankyou, or as Ghanaians would say, Medaasi!

Monday, June 4, 2012

Day 1: Upon landing...


Flying

   Besides the random power outage in XNA and the two hour delay (waiting on the runway for 8 planes to take off ahead of us!) in JFK, the flights were smooth and quick. I slept most of the Transatlantic flight, but I must say that I watched the recent rendition of Footloose  :) 

Accra, the Capital

    I realized the minute we stepped off the plane in the Accra International Airport that there's something important I forgot to mention in my introduction. I'm Indian...I was born in India and moved to the US at age 3, and I've lived there ever since. But I knew from talking to the faculty about the program that Ghana would be very similar to India. Both were colonized by the British until about 60 years ago, and both are still considered "developing countries" today. 
   So stepping onto Ghanaian soil and looking around, the familiarity was a punch in the gut. The sights, smells, the heat and humidity, and vegetation (coconut trees dappling the streets!) were all a friendly feel. 

   We checked out of the airport successfully and made our way to the hotel in Accra. We have a couple hours to refresh and unpack a bit before dinner, so I thought I'd post. Below are some pics of our hotel room.
  I'm gonna go explore a bit for now! I'll update tonight after dinner...if I'm not too tired!






Medasi,
Padma

No comments:

Post a Comment